Friday 24 April 2015

Evaluation: 4. How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

In all stages of my coursework I used many forms of media. The three main resources were the internet, editing software and Microsoft which were all easily accessible to me. This helped me complete my coursework efficiently and professionally. 

Throughout the research stages, search engines such as Google aided me in searching for information easily, offering me an endless amount of sites, relevant to me develop my understanding of horror film history and its influences. I was also able to find existing magazines and posters for me to analyse, and in turn influence my own construction of my poster and magazine. Seeing these codes and conventions all in line together on the internet really made it clear how similar and restrictive the structure of these ancillary tasks would be to help me make an informed decision on whether I wanted to use, develop of break these conventions. I was also able to find existing horror trailers on Youtube which helped me compare conventional texts with less conventional texts, such as ‘The Shining’ trailer. QuestionPro was also available to me through the internet and was another media technology that was extremely beneficial to me in my research stages. This site enabled me to make a survey quickly and easily and then distribute it online by simply copying and pasting the URL onto social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter. This gained a much larger audience and as it was online, people were much more likely to fill it out as it would only take a few moments. The bigger the audience I reached, the more reliable my results would be and gave me more of an idea of what to include in my trailer and ancillary tasks. After gaining all the information I needed from QuestionPro, I then used Microsoft PowerPoint to create a slideshow and present my research clearly. The graphs I used in this slideshow were created on Excel, another Microsoft programme which helped me create the graphs to complement the data I had gathered. 


For the planning stages of my coursework, Microsoft Word was used to create the call sheets and many other documents that would be used on set. I also wrote the synopsis on Microsoft Word as it would have been spell checked automatically and easy to copy and paste straight on to my blog. I was able to create tables, useful when creating call sheets, and was able to move text about freely. This was much more time effective that hand writing all of these documents. 

During the construction of my ancillary tasks, I used many media forms. When working at school I had access to Microsoft Publisher which is an extremely used friendly programme to create publications (such as my magazine cover and poster) in. However, I did not have access to this at home but found that PowerPoint allowed me to move items about just as freely as Publisher so this was extremely convenient. I also used Adobe Photoshop to edit the images for my ancillary tasks. This included cropping, adding filters (such as the grained effect on my poster) and using tools to remove blemishes etc, giving me the desired image for my final constructions. 

The typography I used for ‘Reprisal’ was found on dafont.com. This is a website with a broad selection of fonts in many categories such as ‘horror’. I knew the type of typography I wanted and looked under the ‘typewriter’ category and found the most appropriate one. Without dafont I would have either had to go with a boring Microsoft font that would not have fitted my brand identity, or start completely from scratch which would have taken a lot of time and skill which I have not yet acquired on Photoshop. 

Serif Movie Plus was the main programme we used to edit the footage we had captured on set. This programme was difficult to get your head around at first and was extremely tedious when it came to the small details but if you know your way around the programme then it is a good tool to use in the post-production process of a small film. We also worked closely with a sound engineer to create the perfect soundtrack for our trailer using Cubase Software. Both diegetic and non-diegetic sound was used to accompany the events within our trailer as we did not have control over the sound produced on location (e.g. passing cars, crowds etc). 

One of the most important, if not the most important media technology in the construction of our trailer was the camera. The development in technology over the last decade has enabled us to film on cameras which are portable and create footage which is easily downloadable on to a hard-drive, making the whole process a lot smoother and easier. If it were not for this advancement in technology, we would still be using film and editing the trailer by cutting the reel and sticking it back down in the desired place. 

Lastly, the evaluation stage of my coursework was largely done on Microsoft Word for accurate spelling and grammar checking.


Conclusively, the use of media technologies in order to carry out my coursework was vital. Had it not been for the internet each step would have meant doing individual research to find physical copies of the magazines and posters and that is just a small section of the coursework project. These media technologies have been used in every step of my coursework, even to the last point of presenting it on a blog using blogger.com. Having it all on one place to view is extremely helpful in terms of comparing and seeing my brand identity as a whole.  

No comments:

Post a Comment